Queensland reconstruction effort reaches $3 billion
Queensland tradies and builders have rallied together to aid the state's reconstruction projects
undertaken in the wake of 2010-11 natural disasters - work that has now surpassed a total of $3 billion.
"From the greatest set of natural disasters in our state's history has come the biggest reconstruction program - there are works underway from the Cape to the Coast," premier and minister for reconstruction Anna Bligh said last week (November 22).
"Across Queensland almost $700 million worth of projects are completed, a massive $1.36 billion in projects are underway or out to tender and a further $1.28 billion are being prepared for market," Ms Bligh added.
Queensland Reconstruction Authority chair major general Richard Wilson said the agency would continue to work on behalf of the state's taxpayers, ensuring that the best value for money was being achieved through the reconstruction program.
"It's our job to ensure reconstruction dollars are spent wisely and spent well," he said.
Funding for reconstruction projects across the state is being monitored, with highly affected southern and central regions receiving almost $1 billion in funding each.
The south east area required $569.7 million in reconstruction dollars, while the total for the north and far north sections equated to almost $552 million.