Thursday, December 01 2011
Queensland tradies to build cyclone shelters
The tender process for new cyclone shelters to be built in Queensland has opened, providing local tradies with a much needed boost in the aftermath of natural disasters.
In an announcement on Tuesday (November 29), minister for government services and building industry Simon Finn said that more than 20 contractors have been selected to tender.
"This will be a shot in the arm for employment with 400 jobs created over the life of the project," Mr Finn said.
Ten shelters are due for completion for the 2012-13 cyclone season as part of the state government's $60 million program.
Those selected for the project had been chosen from the Department of Public Works' register for prequalified contractors - which had already identified a firm's compliance with contractual and legislative requirements, capabilities, commitment to continuous improvement and experience against prescribed criteria.
Mr Finn said all of the shelters would be designed and constructed to be capable of providing protection from winds of more than 300 kilometres an hour and would also act as multi-purpose facilities to be used year-round by the local community.
Shelters are to be built in Bowen, Ingham, Port Douglas, Proserpine, Townsville, Tully, Weipa and Yeppoon.